Skipping the studio needn’t mean skipping a workout. When working from home it’s important to keep moving regularly.
Here are six simple moves to help tone and trim the body from the safety of your living room. No equipment (or actual barre) required.
Move 1: Ballet squat moving up an inch, down an inch
1. Start in ballet second position, with your legs about three feet apart and your feet in ‘turn out’ (this is the external rotation of the legs and feet, starting from the hips).
2. Bend your knees and come down in your plié position, making sure that the knees stay above the toes. Keep your back straight and shoulders low.
3. Take the plié one inch down and then one inch up again. Repeat 30 times.
Move 2: Knee lift and glutes press
1. Start in parallel; your supporting leg with the knee bent strongly anchored in the floor, the other leg (the working leg) is raised in front of you with your knee bent and foot pointed.
2. Keep your tummy held in and shoulders relaxed, with both hands on your hips.
3. Alternate raising your leg in front of you (a knee lift) and pushing it back behind you (a glute press). Repeat 30 times each side.
Move 3: Deep lunge moving up an inch, down an inch
1. Start in a lunge position, with your hands on the hips. Your front knee should be above the heel and the back knee as close to the floor as possible.
2. Keep your back straight with your core engaged, tummy held in, and your shoulders low.
3. Take the lunge one inch up and then one inch down again. Repeat 30 times each side.
Move 4: High plank with alternated leg raise
1. Start in a high plank position, making sure to keep the shoulders above the wrists, your back straight, core engaged and tummy held in to protect the lower back from arching.
2. Raise your right leg up then back down in your plank with the toes on the floor. Then raise your left leg up and lower, keeping your shoulders aligned and abdominals engaged.
3. Keep alternating legs and repeat 30 times.
Move 5: Clamshell and leg développé (unfold leg)
1. Lie down on one side, with your shoulder above the elbow, and knees bent in front of you parallel to your hips.
2. Make sure to remain on the side of your hips throughout the whole exercise and point your feet.
3. Open your knee to the side, then extend the leg up, stretching it entirely then bend the knee again and close the knees together. Repeat 30 times each side.